Thursday, March 24, 2011

Shore Files: One fabulous fixture + kitchen peek

I promise, I haven't been intentionally teasing about the shore kitchen. I was hoping to have a fully finished before and after for you this week but things didn't go according to plan so I'm not quite finished. In the meantime, let's take a look at where I did get.

First the Pickett Furniture light fixture.

2011DSC_0117-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0115-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0103.jpg2011DSC_0112-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0110-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0116-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg

As you can probably guess from the montage of photos, I'm having quite the love affair with it. (Shhh! Don't tell Mr. Limestone!) Its even better than what I imagined. First off it has personality - something this room seriously lacked before. Second, it draws the eye to it when you enter the room, makes a stylish statement and distracts you from the the things I hate about this kitchen. Third, its practical as it adds a nice light to the room without blocking the sunshine from the windows. It was a total splurge but so worth it.

Which brings me to the rest of the kitchen makeover which, unlike the fixture, is very much on the cheap. I have a lot more to share about it but as I mentioned, I'm not quite finished. I still have to add a couple more things to finish this space off enough that I can call it done (for now). In the meantime, come on in.

2011DSC_0105-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0106-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg2011DSC_0107-2Jeremy Pickett Light Fixture, Painted Cabinets, Shore Kitchen.jpg

Overall, I think it looks a lot better. Its got a lot more of a clean look than before which is mainly what I was going for so that was good. When I add some curtains to the window area, I think that will add a lot as well. I do like the colors I selected but I wish the countertops were a little bit lighter - they are too close in tone to the navy lower cabinets. I might repaint that, might not. Some shelving and artwork would be nice too. It's not perfect by any means but Im feeling more pleased with it.

What do you think? Do you think I should repaint the countertops? What else would help? I'd love to hear your ideas on how to improve it. (But please no suggestions on repainting the cabinets because I'll need at least a year to recover from that ordeal.)