Friday, December 10, 2010

Steal this Idea*: Hodge:Podge Faux Roman Shades

Its Friday (yippee!) - time for another Steal this Idea* feature - a tiny show of appreciation for a well executed tutorial. Today's feature comes from Barbara of hodge:podge.




Originally I was going to share her transformation of an ikea dresser into a posh nightstand but I was too slow for that one. So I searched around the rest of Barbara's blog for other goodies and found a faux roman blind tutorial that peaked my interest because I plan on tackling this very project.

If you are anything like me, learning to sew creates visions of whipping up your own fabulous custom window treatments at the drop of a hat. Old home owners are particularily
susceptible to this fantasy because our windows are never a standard size. I've been planning on sewing a roman blind for my box room for a while now but I can't seem to muster the courage to tackle it. But thanks to Barbara, I might actually get around to this non functioning version (which is a-ok for me since I don't plan on every closing it!)


She started off with this:

Did a little sewing and stapling...


And ended up with this:


A perfect little tailored detail for those of us who aren't ready for the big leagues. Get all the details over at hodge:podge.

And if you are in the mood for something more advanced, I've had this Jenn Duncan roman shade tutorial for the real thing saved in my links for ages. Its a great write up.

Have you sewn your own roman shades (real or faux) and lived to tell about it? Got any tips for me?

postscript:
*When I say steal, I really mean borrow nicely and give proper credit!
**If you have an idea/tutorial you would like me to consider for a feature, email me. I'd love to see!