Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Life in the Living Room

As I was organizing all of my ramblings into those handy dandy tabs above, I realized that I've never done a proper before and after of the living room. The reason? It still needs something. I figured I'd stumble on it eventually and all would be sorted but so far, no luck. Acknowledging its not really finished, here is how it went down.

We started with this:
Living Room BeforeLiving Room Before
Probably the least offensive room in the house. No brown smears, collapsed ceilings or missing windows. The mirror to got moved to the the dining room. And then there was the all nitty gritty stuff that had to go on like new electrical and heating and cooling, replacing the windows, repairing damage to the walls, etc.

After quite a bit of work, it was ready for some finishing. Extreme paint anxiety followed until I found the perfect shade of griege, Benjamin Moore Silver Fox.Then the floors got repaired and finished. Finally, the lighting.
LadderCautionDSC_0338.JPGDSC_0404.JPGDSC_0510.JPG

After all that was sorted, months and months of waiting for furniture that never arrived and having to scramble to find suitable alternatives was in my future. There seemed to be a bad luck omen attached to anything I ordered for this room. I won't bore you with all those details again but ugh. A couch + chairs + rug + ottomans + coffee table + shutters + side tables + frames later and here we have it.
DSC_0391
CoffeeTableShutter1SiloPilo6

I am happy with what I've done so far but it needs a little more personality. There are some things I know I do NOT want to do. Specifically:

  • I don't want to add any pops of color. Monochromatic may not be for everyone but I definitely love it. It was always my intention to make this a very calm room (think a clean backdrop for whatever is happening here, etc). I wouldn't mind adding a little bit but it would have to be very subtle.
  • I don't want to add draperies. Even though I do love luxurious draperies in general, I dont want to lose the little light we get nor do I want to cover the moldings.
  • Plants: Indoor trees are not my bag. I'm not against smaller plants but this room doesn't get great light anyway. Don't even get me started on fakes.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:

  • Pillows: Maybe one or two more (we do need to have room to sit down). Struggling with the right fabric. Anyone have suggestions?
  • Mirror: Maybe a mirror top made for the round table near the windows. Its not perfectly flat though so Im worried it will break. Silver leafing the top might be an option.
  • Art: Part of me really digs the empty frames - its kind of an ironic twist - but I think some art would help. I'm on the fence. (I do still love this idea but the frames are impossible to find.)
  • Hanging out: I'd like to make a sculptural "grown up mobile" type thing to hang near the windows. In my mind it works but maybe I've gone off the deep end?
  • Sofa Table: If I can find a dresser the right height and width (30Hx72W), I'd love to paint it high gloss shade and send this wooden craftsman style sofa table to the hub's man cave.

Even with all that on my to-do list, I can't seem to get to the finish line. Something is stopping me. I know what I don't want to do but I'm struggling with what else can be done? Maybe I'm looking at it too closely? What do you think?