Friday, September 10, 2010

Steal this Idea*: Twiggy Starburst Mirror

I love a good tutorial and know just how much work goes into making one. Its only fair all that effort gets its due. Thus, the Steal this Idea* series was born . Today's tutorial is from Janell of Isabella and Max Rooms who crafted a beautifully dramatic starbust mirror from a few easy to find materials.

Anyone who has even looked at a design blog this century has seen the starbust mirror everywhere. Its completely ubitiquous for good reason - its has a timeless shape and adds drama in an accessible way. There are lots of other starburst DIY's in the blogosphere but what I really liked about Janell's version is that its really huge! Whats the point of a wimpy starburst anyway? (One of my biggest decor pet peeves is too small art on the wall!! Come on people, scale is everything!) Add that to the fact its incredibly cheap and easy to make, we have a winner.

Janell started with this:


And did a little of this:


And ended up with this:


Love it. You can see the whole step by step on Janell's blog here.

postscript:
*When I say steal, I really mean borrow nicely and give proper credit!
**If you have an idea/tutorial you would like me to consider for a feature, email me. I'd love to see!