Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Style & Skill Crush: Penelope Deyhle

In my long list of things I wish I had a talent for, painting is at the top. And while I've certainly tried my hand at it (for example, this painting I did a mediocre job of), I'm simply not in possession of any serious ability here.

So why am I rambling on about this? Well I stumbled upon an artist that has me completely smitten with her work. And that talented artist is Penelope Deyhle.

I just happened to be walking past a boutique that had this beautiful study of a goldfish from the bowl's angle. And even though the store was closed and my friends were already way ahead of me, I stopped and stared for quite a while. It was big and beautiful. I was transfixed. (I know this is sounding over the top dramatic but I swear, it happened just like I'm describing!)

Finally, I snapped out of my trance and ran to catch up but the painting never left my mind. Weeks later, I was still thinking about it. I contacted the store and they directed me to the artist's page. I crossed my fingers and emailed her hoping for the best.

Penelope was lovely and answered my email quickly. Sadly for me, the painting was not only way out of my budget but sold! Oh well - I kind of expected that but this would have looked so perfect over a white desk at the shore, don't you think?

And here are a few other of her paintings.


Despite my disappointment, I just wanted to share her work with you as well. The photos don't really do it justice.