Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Guest Post: Kirsten's Fresh Bungalow Kitchen

Meet Kirsten of Restored Style. Even though her blog is only a few months old (just a baby really), it already has some great posts and how-tos. Naturally I was totally taken with her gray and yellow color scheme for her kitchen remodel but I'll let her tell you all about it.


I'm fairly new to the blogging scene, so I was over the moon excited when Stefanie asked me to share a room reveal with you. I've been a big fan of Stefanie's for some time now and the thought of gracing the "cover" of Brooklyn Limestone is so incredibly exciting! Unlike me, every single room in her house is meticulously crafted and decorated. It has that "finished" feel, you know?

Anyway, my husband and I have been slowly restoring and decorating a 1925 bungalow home in Portland, Oregon. Even though we moved in nearly 3 years ago, there are only a few rooms that I consider complete. One of them is our kitchen. Like most remodels, it took much longer than anticipated and we went over budget. It's not my dream kitchen, as I had to choose materials that were within our budget and get creative (we picked up the subway tile from a recycled building materials store), but it's much improved and we love the space. Besides, who can ever really afford their dream kitchen?

A few quick things to note...the nook area actually used to be a bedroom. The owners before us took down the wall; however, they left us with some pretty interesting ceiling and wall lines. The goal of the renovation was to connect these two rooms more seamlessly, and also stick with a 1920's period craftsman feel, while modernizing the kitchen and bringing it up to speed with the times (hello ice maker and garbage disposal!).

BEFORE KITCHEN OVERVIEW

kitchen before

AFTER KITCHEN OVERVIEW

kitchen-after-cabinets

kitchen-after-microwave

BEFORE KITCHEN OVERVIEW (FRENCH DOOR INCLUDED)

kitchen-after-wall

AFTER KITCHEN OVERVIEW (FRENCH DOOR INCLUDED)

Kitchen-after-overview

kitchen-after-refrig

BEFORE KITCHEN WINDOWS

kitchen before

AFTER KITCHEN WINDOWS

Kitchen-after-drapes

BEFORE ISLAND/NOOK AREA

kitchen-before-island

AFTER ISLAND/NOOK AREA

Kitchen-after-island

kithen-after-oven

kitchen-after-oven-close-up

kitchen-after-nook

BEFORE NOOK AREA WALL

kitchen-before-wall

AFTER NOOK AREA WALL

kitchen-after-wall

For a full kitchen source list, visit me on over at my blog, Restored Style. I love visitors. Especially new ones! Thanks for letting me share my updated kitchen with you all!