Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Guest Post: Kathleen's Red & Blue Pop Home Office

Today's guest post comes from a familar couple (you may remember them from such guest posts as their kitchen reno or their favorite nook), the ever stylish, Jeremy & Kathleen. I've been a long time reader and always love how they put an outfit or a room or a stationery suite together with signature style. Let's take a peek at where Kathleen gets down to business.

JandKHeader

A huge thank you to the always fabulous Mrs. Limestone for letting me do a guest feature while she is surely jet-setting across the world on one of her many adventures.

When I decided to leave my 9-5 job as a Senior Art Director to go full-time freelance out of my home I became most excited at the thought of designing and decorating my very own office.

I knew that I wanted this space to feel a little different from the rest of my home in order to create visual boundaries between work and home. My goal was to create a space that is calm yet productive, as well as stylish and fun, yet functional. Because I had to by new design software, a computer, printer, scanner and Pantone books I didn't have a whole lot of money left over for decorating. So what I want to share with you all is how I designed my home office on a budget.

A lot of these items I already had and pulled from other areas of my home - so I had very little costs all at once. Here is the breakdown:

IMG_0708
+ Walls: Sherwin Williams Blue Sky (SW0063) in flat finish & black chalkboard paint - $75 for paint and supplies
+ Desk: Vintage metal desk found at a used office furniture store - $65
+ Desk Surface: Self-healing cutting mat - $58
+ Desk Chair: Garage sale find - $5
+ Rug: Hand-me-down from my sister (FREE)

IMG_0728
+ Mid-century Modern Chair & Ottoman: Hand-me-down from a friend (FREE)
+ Sheepskin: IKEA - $25
+ Side Table: Acrylic table from Target - $30
+ Light: FADO table lamp from IKEA - $20

IMG_0711
+ Cork Tile inspiration board(s) - $24

IMG_0736
+ Shelving: Industrial Chrome Wire Shelving Unit from Lowes - $75
+ Vintage locker bins: birthday gifts from my husband
+ Neenah Paper Calendar: Promotional item (FREE)
+ Books: Existing collection or hand me downs from designer friends

IMG_0721
+ Potted plants: gathered from around the house - terra cotta planters and IKEA planters are super affordable at just dollars a piece - $30ish total

I love working in my new home office and am comfortable spending my entire day in here.